On completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Understand the importance of accident and incident investigation for airport safety.
- Understand how to effectively undertake a professional investigation at their airport.
- Describe the role, responsibilities and qualities of an effective investigator.
- Understand the importance of providing a detailed, fact-based report and the required contents of investigation reports.
- Understand how to monitor investigation outcomes.
Who Should Enrol?
- Investigators/Investigation Officers.
- Airport managers, supervisors or personnel with safety, operations or compliance responsibilities.
- Anyone interested in a career in airport safety, operations and/or compliance.
The Accident and Incident Investigation course covers the following topics:
Accidents and Incidents
- Key definitions.
- The major causes and serious consequences of accidents and incidents.
- Prevention strategies.
Accident and Incident Investigation
- The purpose and benefits of investigations.
- Steps in the investigation process:
- Commencing the investigation.
- Gathering and retaining evidence, including applying effective interview techniques.
- Analysing information and determining underlying causes and contributing factors.
- Making safety recommendations.
The Accident Investigator
- The role and responsibilities of an investigator.
- The personal qualities and knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) of effective investigators.
- Training requirements for investigators.
Post Investigation Reporting and Action
- Reporting requirements.
- Monitoring investigation outcomes.
- Following up to ensure corrective actions are implemented.
This course includes an integrated online assessment.
Candidates must successfully complete the assessment to receive a Certificate of Completion.